Monday, May 12, 2014

Twice the Love

Yesterday we celebrated Mother's Day. Breakfast in bed, out for lunch and some shopping with the family. It was my first Mother's Day with Dru and I loved that. 
The Saturday before Mother's Day is Birth Mother's Day, and this was a first for me. 

When we first began our adoption adventure, my #1 fear was "sharing" MY baby with a birthmom. I need not have feared. We were blessed with the most amazing belly momma ever!!!  She is a strong, brave, intelligent woman. And she LOVES Gracie-Dru. She loves her so much, she knew she couldn't give her what she needed. And she chose me (us) to raise her baby that she loves so much. Can you imagine doing that? I can't imagine the strength it takes to do that. 
Our adoption was not typical because Dru lived with her belly momma for 3 months. They shared experiences that I will never be a part of. And that's ok. In fact, those memories are the least I can give her first mom. After all she gave me the gift of completing our family, and we get to make new memories. 

I missed her birth, but I get her every birthday. 

I missed her first cry, but now I get to soothe her. 

I will hear her first words, see her first step, and be the first person she sees when she wakes up with a new liver. 

And I will share all these moments with her birth mom as best as I can because something wonderful happened--I love her too. It's like she is a part of our family too and it's an extra blessing because I wasn't expecting it. In fact, I got a surprise message from her yesterday wishing ME a Happy Mother's Day and thanking ME for loving Dru. How humbling is that?
And what a lucky girl that she is loved by 2 moms!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment