Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Our New Normal

"I'm worried".

 Those were the words we heard from our pediatric GI doctor that turned our life upside down. Elevated bilirubin numbers are what led us to this appointment. Words like "biliary atresia", "kasai procedure", and " liver transplant" were explained to us in this visit too. My face must have shown my fear because he quickly explained that all this was "worst-case scenario". Well, worst-case scenario has become our new normal. 

An ultrasound confirmed that Dru has no drainage system for her liver (biliary atresia). If this had been discovered in her first 2 months of life then the Kasai procedure could have been performed. This would attach her intestine directly to her liver to allow drainage. We didn't adopt Dru until 3 months old so this window of opportunity had passed and now her liver is so diseased that a transplant is her only option. 

A blood test also told us that her liver has already stopped producing proteins that allow her blood to clot. We rushed to Primary Children's Medical Center to get her a plasma transfusion and vitamin K. We had our first overnight hospital stay. 


The best thing about this visit was meeting Dr. Jensen. He is Dru's liver doctor. The best words I heard all night were "you don't worry about her liver. That's my job. You just take care of Dru".

Done and done. 

Later the next week, we spent an entire day doing Dru's transplant evaluation (lots of blood drawn :(), and the next day was education day for Bill and I. Even though this all so scary, we left feeling hopeful and so grateful for the hand-holding that goes on at this hospital. I am so glad we live so close. 


It has been a whirlwind to say the least. But more than anything, I am humbled and grateful that I am this girl's mom. To be the one chosen to take care of this precious soul is such an honor. I pray I am up to the task. 

No comments:

Post a Comment