Monday, March 17, 2014

What I Have Learned So Far

Dru is only 5 months old, but I have already learned so much from her. 

The obvious is that I know way more about biliary atresia and liver transplant than I ever wanted too. 

But more importantly are the life lessons I am learning from her. 

1) Always have a smile for everyone. This little girl has gotten people to fall in love with her by her smile alone. 
2) Enjoy the little things. There have been some hard days where I have taken her peaceful sleeping, or her finishing a bottle for granted. Now I see how even these simple things are precious and should be appreciated. 

3) There is so much good in the world. People want to help us. Some I've never even met. It makes me want to be a better person--to be deserving of the service others are offering. 

4) Prayer and love are super powers. I cannot begin to express the positive spirit that has been in our home with each prayer and kind word offered to our family. It's hard not feel lifted up when there are so many praying in our behalf. 

5) Gratitude is a choice. We have chosen to see Dru's condition as a blessing because of the things we are learning. We are also beyond grateful (and humbled) to be chosen as her family. To be the ones to fight with her. 

6) Fight for what you want. My girl is a fighter. She shows me her strength everyday, with every breath, and with every smile. She is my hero. 



5 comments:

  1. love you guys. I'm so glad you started this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know me but I just read your story on facebook, and just wanted to wish you and your family lots of love during this difficult time. I also had a baby who went into liver failure and know how difficult this can be on a family.My son was also treated at PCMC. You are in great hands and I am sure that all will turn out well. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear more about your adventure. It helps so much to talk with someone who's gone through it too.

      Delete
  3. You are more than welcome to read Lincoln's story. Here is the link to his page: http://crazychristensenboys.blogspot.com/2012/01/lincolns-story-nicu-reunion.html. His story is different in the fact he ended up not needing a transplant and his liver failure was from a viral infection. You also might like to read: http://liverforlulu.blogspot.com/. This little girl was sick around the same time as my son and she had BA and under went a liver transplant. Just remember you are not alone and I would love to help if ever needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys and love your inspiring positive attitude

    ReplyDelete