Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Our First Tap

So today was our first experience with getting the fluid in Dru's belly drained. 

I've been kindof looking forward to it. A sweet liver mom, Tiffany Applebaum, that we met at clinic yesterday told me that their relief is immediate. Hallelujah!!

On our drive there we got a phone call to let us know we wouldn't have to stay the night. 

What a relief. I hate leaving the family if it's not necessary. 

Our doc isn't as worried about her breathing once there is no fluid putting so much pressure on her lungs and they did not want to run the risk of her catching an illness while staying at the hospital--which gets my hopes up that transplant could be sooner than later. 

We checked in at Imaging, where after 3 attempts at placing the IV, they performed the procedure. 

It's a killer watching her drug-induced sleep then having to leave her. Although secretly I wish I could take some of those meds home to use on her at night ;)
The procedure lasted all of 30 minutes. And in that time I ran into my dear friend Laura and her sister, who's son is at primary's for Kawasaki disease. I was so happy to see them ❤️❤️❤️

As we walked into Dru's recovery room, she was just waking up and was crying. Once I picked her up, she stopped immediately and I could tell instantly how much softer her belly was and how easy she was breathing. 
We had to stay for 2 more hours to give her meds that will help keep the fluid from leaking into her abdomen as quickly. 

She woke up smiling and clapping. Much more comfortable. 
Her belly is still on the large side because her liver and spleen are so enlarged, but it looks so much better. 
And that smile says it all :)





2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! She handled that like a champ!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that sweet girl got some relief! And you too!

    ReplyDelete